Academic Writing & Citation
Find information on the following topics below:
Click on any of the book/eBook covers above to locate them in our collection!
Online Writing Guides
- Provides tips and exercises on starting to write, logic, establishing arguments, emphasis, conciseness, active/passive voice, and more. Also included are examples and videos.
- This electronic version of the classic reference book covers basic rules of English language usage, principles of composition, form, words & expressions commonly misused, and commonly misspelled words.
- from University of Chicago
- from the University of Wisconsin
- from University of Toronto
- from SUNY Empire College
Writing is a process of organizing and expressing your thoughts. College research assignments often require you to:
- Pose a question worth exploring
- Read widely in search of possible answers
- Interpret what you read
- Draw reasoned conclusions
- Support those conclusions with valid and well-documented evidence
Check out the following help sheets, set a realistic timeline, and ask library staff for research assistance.
Online Grammar Guides
- Provides explanations and examples of basic grammatical rules. Outlines parts of speech, phrases, clauses, sentences, and common problems of usage.
- An online guide to English grammar, with a comprehensive Table of Contents containing 120 alphabetically arranged subject areas. The bottom of the main page features a Grammar Guru offering answers to questions asked by users.
How to Cite
- The Learning Portal: How to Cite
Video Tutorials – Referencing
- APA Formatting: Reference List Basics
- APA Formatting: A More Detailed Explanation
- APA in Minutes: In-Text Citations
- MLA Formatting: List of Works Cited
Citation Management Software
The Learning Portal