What is Inter-Library Loan (ILL)?
Inter-Library Loan (ILL) is a standard service provided by most libraries to borrow material that they do not own from another library when requested by a patron. Fanshawe does not charge for ILL book lending or article requests.
How do I request ILL materials?
Can’t find what you’re looking for at the Fanshawe Library Learning Commons? Submit an ILL Request by using one of our online forms below.
Before requesting an item, please check for the item in Page1+ to be sure it is not available in the Fanshawe College Library Learning Commons.
For general inquiries, email email@example.com
Inter-Library Loan Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to use the ILL service?
- The ILL service is available for Fanshawe College students, faculty, and staff.
Can I request an eBook through ILL?
- We’re sorry, but eBooks cannot be requested through ILL.
How long does it take?
- It may take up to two weeks or more for a book to arrive. It depends on the library’s location from which the book is being sent. Articles and a book chapter may take up to one week or more to arrive (but typically take less than one week). We cannot guarantee that the requested item will arrive before a specific date.
How will I be notified when the material arrives?
- You will be notified by email.
Where do I pick up the materials and then return it?
- You may pick up and return ILL materials at the Library Learning Commons service desk. Articles and a book chapter will be emailed to you. Some licensing agreements restrict the delivery of articles in an electronic format, in which case a print copy will be made available for pickup.
How long is the loan period?
- Loan periods and renewals are up to the lending library. The due date will be clearly visible on the book. Please note that the book may be subject to being recalled by the library.
Can I renew ILL books?
- If you require a renewal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-452-4236 at least two weekdays before the due date. Permission to renew is granted by the lending library. If an item cannot be renewed, it will be stated in the notification email and on the book.
What if I am late returning ILL books?
- ILL books that are 1 day overdue are declared lost and are billed for replacement. Library borrowing privileges are suspended until the book is returned, or the bill is paid.
What if I lose or damage the ILL materials?
- You are financially responsible for any damage or loss of ILL materials. Replacement costs will be determined by the lending library depending on their local policies.