Formulating a Statistics Question
Questions to Ask Yourself
What individuals, groups, or things do I want statistics for?
- People, households, businesses, products, etc.
What geographic area/level do I need statistics for?
- National, provincial, city, CMA, CT, DA.
What time period do I need the statistics to cover?
- Most current as possible, a time series (e.g. 2006-2016), a specific year, etc.
What is my purpose?
- To identify a trend, to compare areas or time periods, etc.
Are there specific variables I need to add to my search?
- French-speaking, post-secondary education, age 18-25, etc.
Examples of statistical questions:
- How many individuals in Ontario owned a smartphone in 2010?
- Has the rate of childhood obesity increased in Canada in the past ten years?
- What is the average wait time for a medical specialist in London?
- On average, how much do Canadians spend on coffee each year? How does this compare to Americans?