Tech Video Tutorials
Tech Help Home / Tech Video Tutorials
Learn valuable skills to help you navigate and troubleshoot your computer and software.
Need a theme on your Mac computer that is easy on the eyes and has high contrast? Learn how to change to a dark theme on your Mac computer with this simple tutorial.
- Select System Preferences to access your computer settings.
- Select General from the System Preferences menu.
- Under Appearance, select Dark to activate the dark theme.
Office 365 Tutorials
- Head over to connected.fanshawec.ca/ms/ to access Microsoft Office 365 for free.
- Select ‘Office 365 Education’.
- Click ‘Read the Instructions’ and then ‘Visit Microsoft to Sign In’.
- Click ‘Sign in’ and sign in with your Fanshawe email and password. Click ‘Next’ and ‘Sign in’.
- An Office 365 ‘cloud’ page will appear. You can access Office 365 software from this page and work virtually in the cloud. If you want to download the software onto your computer, click ‘Install Office’ in the upper right-hand corner and select ‘Office 365 apps’.
- Hold tight, downloading the Microsoft installer may take a while because of the file size (2GB).
- Once the Microsoft installer has been downloaded, click ‘Open File’ to run the installer. Follow the directions in the installer.
- In order to access Office 365, you will be asked to activate your Microsoft license. To do so, open a Microsoft program (e.g., Microsoft Word) on your computer and click on the ‘Sign in’ logo along the top left-hand side of your screen. You will be prompted to sign in again with your Fanshawe email and password.
- You are now ready to use Microsoft Office 365 on your Mac!
This tutorial will demonstrate how to locate Office 365 applications on your computer and how to pin Office 365 applications to your taskbar for easy access.
- There are several ways to search for applications on your computer. Open the ‘Start’ menu on your device (Windows icon ). This will open the ‘Start’ menu where you can access an Office 365 application by searching through the A-Z program list. Clicking on the name of the application will open it.
- Another way to search for an application is to type in the name of the application in the ‘Type here to search’ bar’ in your computer’s taskbar.
- Your computer will return a search results. Click on the desired search result and click ‘Open’ to open the application.
- Next we will discuss how to ‘pin’ applications to your taskbar. Pinning places the application icon on your taskbar for easy access. Type in the name of the Office 365 application you would like to pin in the taskbar search bar.
- Instead of opening the software, click on the down arrow beneath ‘Open’ to activate a drop-down menu.
- A drop-down menu will open. Here, you can select to ‘Pin to Start’ if you want the application to be pinned to the ‘Start’ menu. Selecting this option pins the application separate from the application A-Z list in your ‘Start’ menu. ‘Pin to taskbar’ will pin the application to the taskbar.
- Repeat this process if you would like multiple Office 365 applications pinned.
The Combine Files feature in Adobe Acrobat is incredibly useful as it allows the user to combine several files into one document. This feature is particularly useful if you have multiple file formats to combine into one document or even job application packages.
- Open Adobe Acrobat. On the home screen, select ‘See All Tools’. Clicking this will open a new screen that displays all Acrobat tools.
- On this new page, select ‘Open’ beneath the ‘Combine Files’ option.
- This will open another new screen. On this new screen, select ‘Add Files’ from the ribbon menu or from the centre of the screen.
- From here, you can select files from your computer to combine. Please note that any format of files can be combined. For example, you can combine Word and Excel files into one combined file. Once you have selected your files, select ‘Add Files’.
- You may see a pop-up requesting access to Microsoft Word. If so, click ‘OK’ to proceed.
- This will add your files to the ‘Combine Files’ screen. You may rearrange the order of files by clicking and dragging the files into the order of your choosing.
- Once you have the files in the order you wish for them to appear in your combined document, select ‘Combine’ in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Once you have selected ‘Combine’, Adobe Acrobat will render a preview of the combined file. Make sure to save the combined file by clicking on the floppy disk/save icon (💾) in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. The default format Adobe Acrobat will save combined files is PDF.
- Change the name of your file beside ‘Save As:’, change where you would like to save the file to beside ‘Where’, and change the format of your combined file by using the dropdown menu beside ‘Format:’. Click ‘Save’ once you are done to save the file.